Sunday, May 13, 2007

My Mama

Mama has a scar on her lap. Maybe it was just a birthmark, i thought to myself during my younger days. Little did I know she got scalded by hot water while mixing some formula for me in the car on a bumpy road, when i was just a few months old.

Mama has some extra inches on her waist and hips. Jokingly, I told her that she needed to go on a strict diet. Little did I know that all these years, while the rest of us enjoyed the drumsticks and the meatiest parts of the dishes, she was munching on bones alone in the kitchen.

Mama is a typical auntie who checks newspaper ads for the best deals in town and bargains like there's no tomorrow. Little did I know that of all those things she bought at bargained prices, none were for herself.

Mama doesn't give money to those asking for donations on the streets. I thought i had a better heart and donated. The very next day I read in the papers about the proliferation of charity scams. Little did I know that her bags were full of salvation army flags and old folk's home open day coupons.

'Little did I know' was the excuse I used as a rebellious teenager (seriously deluded by raging hormones), choosing to believe that my judgments were better than mama's. I knew that Mama helped a blind man cross the road everyday before dawn. I even knew that she once bought a bunch of rambuatans which was half-rotten from an old lady because it was raining. Yet i pushed every bit of those to the far-flung realms of my mind.

Recently, mama has been asking me stuffs about computers and the internet. I remembered the times I taught her the basics of using a computer, which were held in a hurried manner and with me being irritated by her questions. Mama never once raised her voice at me. She patiently learnt everything she could to keep in touch with her children living faraway from home.

Mama's e-mail to me yesterday slapped me hard across the face. It suddenly occurred to me that I am becoming the snappish, unthoughtful and ignorant son, making little-did-i-know excuses again. But this time, I'm taking my final steps into adulthood while mama's hair is turning gray.

My Mama, a filial daughter, a beautiful wife, a loving mother, and now a grandmother.

Mama, I would like to take this opportunity to wish you a very very happy mother's day, to apologize for everything i've done wrong, and to say that I love you lots and lots.


Happy Mama's Day!!!

6 comments:

Goon Keat said...

haha.i think i am the 1st one to read your latest blog....after reading your blog..i think i am really a bad son...i dont think i understand my mom well.haih...anyway..HAPPY MOTHER"S DAY.
David, to be honest...when you still a kid..you look cute and adorable...and handsome..now....dont want to say la..later you will ''punch'' me

A Mature Student said...

Hopped over from George's blog. A lovely article about your mum.

Unknown said...

A nice write - but I am sure you do well to make her proud of you.

Odysseys Of George

Anonymous said...

Dear WJ:

好美,好温馨的相片。。好喜欢哟。。

give u a big thumb up~~!

u are so wonderful...(*o*)

俊杰 Chun Keat said...

haiz... david u really... haiz... but too bad same thing happened to me also... din noe well about my mother... din care her enuf... not only mother, but our father also... they really give a lot in growing us up... nearly 22 years for me... How could they do it ah? This is really mission impossible...

another thing is I agree with wat donatello said... haha... except the sentence "when you still a kid"... this should be "before u reach 18 years old"... better dun say too much... u will punch me... I am not as fast as u to avoid it...

HoNG said...

wow...it is really a nice post...
david....i am sure ur parents are proud of u...even i as ur fren...i am proud of u...yes..i will juz say sometimes we will make our parents angry..or raise our voice to them sometimes(accidentally).. although we dont mean it..but juz try to forgive urself and be a filial son...tht is wat they want..i think...dun punch me also ya...i am not as fast as you also...superdavid!!:))